SQL Server migration to Azure via VHD imagecategory by product: Microsoft Azure
category by type: Migration
- Duration: 1 week;
- Price: $450;
- SKU: ITPWW300MIGOT;
Moving your sql Server database to an Azure Virtual Machine via vhd image
- IT Partner responsibilities
- Client responsibilities
- Out of the scope of this project (additional cost items)
An Azure Virtual Machine is a simple tool to host all supported editions and versions of SQL Server, including SQL Server 2016, on virtual machines. You can run your enterprise database applications on high-end VMs in the cloud with the flexibility of either paying per usage or reusing existing SQL Server licenses. Also, you may use free-licensed SQL Developer and Express editions for testing and lightweight workloads.
Please note that, if you need a server upgrade, we can provide it as an additional service.
Our objective is to migrate your SQL server to an Azure VM.
This project will be considered successful when SQL databases are available from an Azure VM without data loss.
IT Partner responsibilities
- Convert physical or virtual machines to Hyper-V VHDs by using Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter.
- Upload VHD files to Azure Storage by using the Add-AzureVHD cmdlet.
- Create a SQL VM with per-minute licensing or an existing license (please note, it is not possible to change the licensing model of a pay-per-minute SQL Server VM to use your own license. In this case, you must create a new BYOL VM and migrate your databases to the new VM.)
- Deploy a new virtual machine by using the uploaded VHD.
- Configure high availability, if required.
Also, if you have to transfer large amounts of data, we will help you arrange to ship your hard drive(s) using the Azure Import/Export Service, when uploading over the network is prohibitively expensive or not feasible.
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner and coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules
- Configure all networking equipment such as load balancers, routers, firewalls, and switches
- Provide access to physical and virtual servers and/or systems and services, as needed. Provide remote and/or physical access to facility and systems required to complete work
Out of the scope of this project (additional cost items)
- Backup scheduling
- Software version upgrade
Upon completion of the project, we will provide a project closeout report. This document will indicate the final project status including evidence of meeting acceptance criteria, outstanding issues and the final budget. If you require more extensive documentation, this can be provided for an additional fee.
May vary depending on your needs.
- Kickoff meeting
- Review SQL server and Windows Server
- Start deployment
- Finalize deployment
- Verify and fix issues