|Windows Virtual Desktop Implementation
Providing remote workstations (VDI) and terminal server services across a company, even a small one, requires a significant amount of work for administrators. Most of the time is spent configuring and integrating lots of components that this service consists of. Microsoft suggests looking at this challenge in a new way with Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD). WVD is a cloud-based desktop virtualization service and applications based on Microsoft Azure. The main benefits of WVD include:
• Integration and management of components responsible for providing remote desktops and applications. Microsoft offers them free of charge as a service with an SLA.
• Licenses for using and accessing the OS. They are already included in many popular Microsoft packages and do not require any additional costs, minimizing the overall price of the solution. • The service provides the ability to use Windows 10 in the terminal server format, minimizing the cost of the session.
IT Partner responsibilities #
- Check prerequisites
- Create an Azure subscription, if needed
- Configure Azure services required for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Create virtual machines in the Host Pool (up to 5 VMs)
- Provide instructions on connecting to Windows Virtual Desktop
- Consultation on technical issues related to the work of WVD
Client responsibilities #
- Coordinate Client resources and staff schedules
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner
- Coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules
- Provide administrative access to Microsoft 365 tenant
- Notify users about new services
- Review and approve engagement deliverables in a timely manner
Additional cost items not provided by this project #
- Migration of any data to Azure, such as applications, mail, virtual machines, databases and files (can be purchased as an additional service).
- Installation of user programs (except for the office suite) on virtual machines (this setting can be is discussed individually).
- Workstation configuration.
Upon completion of the project, we will provide a project closeout report. This document will indicate the final project status, including acceptance criteria matching, any outstanding issues, and the final budget. If you require more extensive documentation, it can be provided for an additional fee.
- You have administrative access to your company tenant.
- Users have one of the following licenses: 2.1 Microsoft 365 E3/E5 2.2 Microsoft 365 A3/A5/Student Use Benefits 2.3 Microsoft 365 F3 2.4 Microsoft 365 Business Premium 2.5 Windows 10 Enterprise E3/E5 2.6 Windows 10 Education A3/A5 2.7 Windows 10 VDA per user
The plan may vary depending on your needs.
- Kickoff meeting
- Collecting data required for the project
- Connection to the client’s tenant
- Creating an Azure subscription, if needed
- Configuring Azure AD Domain Services
- Configuring Windows Virtual Desktop Services and Virtual Machines
- Verification and fixing issues.
Success Criteria #
- Windows Virtual Desktop services are configured according to the client’s requirements.
- Users can connect to WVD in various ways: using Microsoft Windows client, web client, iOS and Android apps.