|Long description||This service is created to help organizations migrate all email data and configurations from an existing email system (the source system) to a new email system (the target system) in a single, well-defined cutover event.|
Cutover email migration from any source system involves the definitive switch from the old system to the new system, typically performed over a short period of time, such as a few hours or days. The term "any source system" implies that the cutover email migration method can be applied regardless of the specific email platform or provider you are migrating from. Whether you are currently using Microsoft Exchange, Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), IBM Notes (formerly Lotus Notes), or any other email system, the cutover migration approach aims to move all email-related data and settings to the new target system.
It's important to note that cutover email migration is best suited for smaller to medium-sized organizations with relatively simpler email environments. Larger organizations with more complex email systems or a significant volume of data may require alternative migration methods, such as staged or hybrid migrations, to ensure a smoother transition without disrupting business operations.
Our goal is to help you successfully move all user mailboxes, email messages, folders, contacts, calendars, and other relevant data from the source system to the target system and ensure a smooth and efficient migration process.
IT Partner responsibilities #
- Assess the current email system and identify the requirements for the new email system.
- Configure security settings, distribution lists, and any necessary integrations with other systems.
- Identify and prioritize the data to be migrated.
- Backup the source system data to ensure its safety and as a contingency plan.
- Migrate user data from the source system to the target system.
- Test email functionality in the new system to verify that everything is working correctly.
Client responsibilities #
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner.
- Coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules.
- Provide temporary access to the existing environment/IT Infrastructure.
- Configure all network equipment, such as load balancers, routers, firewalls, and switches.
- Perform changes to internal and external DNS, as required.
- Inform users about upcoming changes and provide the necessary information.
Additional cost items not provided by the project #
- Informing users about upcoming changes.
- Customer team training (could be added as an additional service).
- Microsoft 365 or Exchange Server Environment.
- Identify any necessary upgrades or modifications to the infrastructure.
- Configure the necessary MX (Mail Exchange) records to ensure proper email routing.
- Kickoff meeting.
- Assess the current source system and evaluate the target email system.
- Provision the necessary hardware, software, and network infrastructure required for the migration.
- Perform data cleanup and optimization in the source system to streamline the migration process and reduce the amount of data to be transferred.
- Execute the actual data migration and configure DNS settings if needed.
- Verify that all of your data has been migrated correctly, including metadata and permissions.
- Follow-up / closure conversations.
Success criteria #
- All data has been successfully migrated and the target email system functions as expected.
- All incoming emails are routed correctly to the target system.
- The migrated data retains its original formatting, metadata, and permissions, and is accessible by the appropriate users.