|Long description||This service is built to help organizations migrate or transition user identities, resources, and configurations from one Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) tenant to another in a phased or staged manner.|
Azure AD Tenant-to-Tenant Staged Transition is typically required when organizations undergo mergers, acquisitions, or restructuring that necessitate consolidating or reorganizing their Azure AD environments. During a tenant-to-tenant staged transition, the migration is divided into multiple stages or phases, enabling organizations to plan and execute the transition with careful consideration to user impact, application dependencies, and security requirements. This approach is commonly used in scenarios such as mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, or restructuring where there is a need to consolidate or reorganize Azure AD environments.
Staged migration allows several users to log into the new domain, but with the help of the access settings, it is also possible to save the ability to work with resources, SharePoint, or VM in the old domain. This approach allows reconfiguring of all PCs while saving data, using fewer human resources, and reducing possible downtime.
Our goal is to help organizations ensure a smooth and controlled migration process, mitigate risks, and minimize disruptions to end-users.
IT Partner responsibilities #
- Analyze the Source and Target tenants` data.
- Set up and configure the target Azure AD tenant, including directory structure, security settings, custom domains, and any required configurations.
- Create a coexistence environment where users from both the source and target tenants can collaborate and access shared resources.
- Staged export of data from the source tenant in accordance with the migration plan and uploading data into a new tenant.
- Verify that all data has been successfully migrated and perform any necessary post-migration tasks.
Client responsibilities #
- Coordinate Client resources and staff schedules.
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner.
- Coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules.
- Provide administrative access to source and destination tenant.
- Change settings of applications using Azure AD, if any.
- Notify users about changes.
- Change PC settings if Azure AD authorization is used.
- Review and approve engagement deliverables in a timely manner.
Additional cost items not provided by the project #
- Migration of other data from Azure, such as applications, mail, virtual machines, and databases (can be purchased as an additional service).
- Resource sharing setup between the source tenant and the destination tenant.
- Workstation configuration. Please note that if employees use Azure AD authorization on their PCs, they will need to disconnect from the current tenant and connect to a new one; a new user profile will be created as a result. Services for PC setup and transferring data stored in a user profile can be purchased as an additional service.
Upon completion of the project, we will provide a project closeout report. This document will indicate the final project status, including acceptance criteria matching, outstanding issues, and the final budget. If you require more extensive documentation, it can be provided for an additional fee.
The plan may vary depending on your needs:
- Kickoff meeting.
- Analyse the source and target Azure AD tenants to plan and map the migration process.
- Ensure that you have the necessary administrative access and permissions in both the source and target tenants.
- Check that Azure AD Connect is installed and properly functioning in the source tenant.
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan to inform and support users throughout the migration process.
- Execute the actual data migration and configure DNS settings if needed.
- Verify that all your data has been migrated correctly.
- Follow-up / closure conversation.
Success criteria #
- All users and groups from the source tenant are seamlessly migrated to the destination tenant, guaranteeing no data loss in the process.
- All users are authorized within the new domain, allowing for smooth access and integration.