|Long description||Migration of documents and files that are stored within Microsoft Teams to SharePoint Online.|
SharePoint Online is a cloud-based collaboration and document management platform that is part of the broader Microsoft 365 suite of tools and services. One of the popular use cases for SharePoint Online is to manage document migrations from Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams is a communication and collaboration platform that allows users to chat, make audio and video calls, and collaborate on documents within a team workspace. While Teams is great for real-time collaboration, it may not be the ideal long-term storage solution for documents that require more structured organization, metadata, and governance.
Our goal is to help you plan the migration process thoroughly, choose the right migration tools, and involve your team members throughout the process to ensure a smooth transition from Microsoft Teams to SharePoint Online.
IT Partner responsibilities #
- Data assessment.
- Choosing the best data migration approach.
- Migration of the required data.
Client responsibilities #
- Provide access to server(s) and data location(s).
- Provide required SharePoint or Teams destination information.
- Coordinate Client resources and staff schedules.
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner.
- Coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules.
- The user should have appropriate access and permissions to both Microsoft Teams and SharePoint Online environments and administrative privileges or permissions to perform the migration.
- The user should have an active Microsoft 365 subscription that includes both Microsoft Teams and SharePoint Online services. Most Microsoft 365 plans include these services, but it's essential to verify the licensing requirements.
- Perform a backup of Microsoft Teams documents to ensure data integrity during the migration process.
- Set up SharePoint Online environment with the necessary document libraries, folders, and metadata columns that align with document organization requirements.
- Assess network capacity and bandwidth to handle the migration, especially if there is a large volume of documents to transfer.
- Kickoff meeting.
- Define Objectives and Scope of the migration.
- Assess Content and Review the existing permissions and access settings in Microsoft Teams.
- Set up the SharePoint Online environment.
- Choose the migration method and define how the content structure in Microsoft Teams will be translated to SharePoint Online's document libraries and folders.
- Verify that metadata, permissions, and document content are correctly transferred.
- Ensure a backup of the documents in Microsoft Teams before starting the migration process.
- Start the migration process and verify that the transferred data is accurate and complete.
- Follow-up / closure conversations.
Success criteria #
- All documents, files, and associated metadata are migrated accurately without any data loss or corruption.
- The migration process is completed efficiently, with minimal disruption to the user and with minimal downtime for the devices involved.
- Metadata from Microsoft Teams is correctly mapped and transferred to SharePoint Online. This includes any custom metadata properties.
- The appropriate permissions and access controls are applied to documents in SharePoint Online, allowing users to access only the content they are authorized to view and edit.
- Document compliance and governance policies are effectively applied in SharePoint Online, meeting any regulatory or organizational requirements.
- The appropriate backup and disaster recovery measures are in place for the migrated documents.