|Long description||A flexible and quick way to migrate all emails, contacts, tasks, and other data from a third-party hosted and managed Exchange Server to Office 365 Exchange Online.|
This service allows you to migrate from an Exchange Server to Exchange Online if you do not have direct administrative access to the server. Migration is possible using the credentials of each user.
This migration occurs in the cutover migration mode when all information from mailboxes is immediately transferred to a new location.
During MX record switching, the email service may be unavailable. The downtime depends on the DNS settings of your provider and the DNS system features of email senders.
You can also use the additional email caching service, which will allow you to receive all emails regardless of the MX switching duration.
IT Partner responsibilities #
- Hold a kickoff meeting to exchange contact information, plan key steps, and discuss the project
- Plan and guide the cutover from the source system to Exchange Online
- Provide new Exchange Online mailboxes by creating Office 365 user accounts and assigning Exchange Online user licenses
- Add and validate email domain(s) to Office 365
- Start a migration batch
- Provide a report with the number of mailboxes that were successfully migrated and those that cannot be migrated, if any
- Incremental mailbox synchronization setup to receive any emails sent after the start of the main synchronization
- Resolve any migration issues and errors to ensure that all mailboxes have been successfully migrated
- Change DNS settings and control their application
- Monitor health and status of the destination Exchange Online environment to make sure the migration process is correct
Client responsibilities #
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner and coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules
- Configure all network equipment, such as load balancers, routers, firewalls, and switches
- Provide the authorization data necessary to complete the migration
- Perform changes to internal and external DNS, as required
- Assist with identification of high-risk users (top executives and VIP users, users with 50 GB mailboxes or larger and/or 30 GB deleted folders or larger)
- Review and approve engagement deliverables in a timely manner
Additional cost items not provided by this project #
- Customer team training (could be added as an additional service)
- Desktop software settings
- End user support
Upon completion of the project, we will provide a Project Closeout Report. This document will indicate the final project status, including evidence of matching acceptance criteria, outstanding issues (if any), and the final budget. If you want more extensive documentation, it can be provided for an additional fee.
- You must have a new Office 365 tenant without users (or with user accounts we can delete)
- You must have logins and passwords of all users involved in the migration or you must be ready to change them before the migration, or you must have a server admin account
- You must have access to your email domain DNS zone
The plan may vary depending on your needs.
- Kickoff meeting
- Analysis of the current Exchange solution, gathering information about users and mailboxes
- Preparing for email migration
- Pre-stage email migration
- Changing MX record to Exchange Online.
- Final email migration
- Post-migration tasks
Success Criteria #
- Users can access Exchange Online on their desktop PCs, mobile phones, and tablets, from any place, any time
- Mailbox content, including emails, calendars, and tasks, is migrated to Exchange Online
- All necessary transport rules are created and working
- Emails can be sent and received using Exchange Online
- Exchange Online Protection is configured and working