How to get support moving forward for Windows Server 2008/2008R2
Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008R2 are approaching the end of their support lifecycle. After 14/1/2020 there will be no additional free security updates on-premises, non-security updates, free support options and online technical content update.
So, there are only three ways to get support moving forward for Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 licenses. First you can purchase extended support for three years which is the most expensive route. This can only be accomplished directly with MS and you would need to be in an Enterprise Agreement direct with MS.
Second you can convert your current OS to a newer OS that is supported and that can be accomplished through our Volume Licensing Team. Major issue here is around any applications you have being compatible with newer OS.
Finally, you can move that workload to Azure which will allow you 3 years of free support while testing applications on newer operating systems to beat the 3 year end of life deadline.
Migrate to Azure
You can migrate your on-premises Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 servers to Azure, where you can continue to run them on virtual machines. In Azure you’ll stay compliant, become more secure, and add cloud innovation to your work. The benefits of migrating to Azure include:
- Security updates in Azure.
- Get three more years of Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2008 critical and important security updates, included at no additional charge.
- No-charge upgrades in Azure.
- Adopt more cloud services as you are ready.
- By migrating SQL Server to Azure Managed Instances or VMs, you get three more years of Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2008 critical security updates, included at no additional charge.
- Leverage existing SQL Server and Windows Server licenses for cloud savings unique to Azure.
Our Cloud & Automation Team can help with the Migration Services.
We recommend that you migrate to Azure or upgrade to the current product versions before the support end dates. This lets you take advantage of the latest product innovations and make sure you have uninterrupted support from Microsoft.