Please note that this service is relevant for migration to Azure SQL Database. If you want to migrate a SQL Server database to a SQL Server in an Azure VM, see our other service.
Our objective is to migrate SQL databases to the Azure cloud.
This project will be considered successful when SQL databases are available from Azure without data loss.
IT Partner responsibilities #
We have two possible scenarios for SQL migration. The first method is simpler, but requires some possibly substantial downtime during the migration. The second method is more complex, but substantially eliminates downtime during the migration.
Method 1: Migration with downtime during the migration
- Assess the database for compatibility using the latest version of Data Migration Assistant (DMA).
- Prepare any necessary fixes as Transact-SQL scripts.
- Make a transactionally consistent copy of the source database being migrated and ensure no further changes are being made to the source database (or you can manually apply any such changes after the migration is complete). There are many methods to quiesce a database, from disabling client connectivity to creating a database snapshot.
- Deploy the Transact-SQL scripts to apply the fixes to the database copy.
- Export the database copy to a .BACPAC file on a local drive.
- Import the .BACPAC file as a new Azure SQL database using any of several BACPAC import tools, with SQLPackage.exe being the recommended tool for best performance.
Method 2: Use transactional replication
- Remove your SQL Server database from production
- SQL Server transactional replication as a migration solution
- Configure Azure SQL Database as a subscriber to the SQL Server that you wish to migrate
- Transactional replication; all changes to your data or schema show up in your Azure SQL Database
- Migrate and change the connection string of your applications to point them to your Azure SQL Database
Client responsibilities #
- Provide a dedicated point of contact responsible for working with IT Partner and coordinate any outside vendor resources and schedules
- Configure all networking equipment, such as load balancers, routers, firewalls, and switches
- Provide access to physical and virtual servers and/or systems and services, as needed. Provide remote and/or physical access to facility and systems required to complete work
- Perform changes to internal and external DNS, as required
Outside the scope of this project (additional cost items) #
Upon completion of the project, we will provide a project closeout report. This document will indicate the final project status, including evidence of meeting acceptance criteria, any outstanding issues, and the final budget. If you require more extensive documentation, this can be provided for an additional fee.
You must have an Azure subscription.
The plan may vary depending on your needs.
- Kickoff meeting
- Define backup points and policy
- Start deployment
- Finalize deployment
- Verify and fix issues, if any
We will copy databases from your own SQL Server to the newest version of SQL Server in an Azure VM.
Our engineers take care of irregular administration chores for your Skype for Business Online. Support is available by phone, a Skype for Business session, or remotely.